katiefranke

Katie's Books

New to BookLikes and saving my place while I get my books in order...

Dragon Bound - Thea Harrison 4.5 stars!

This was one of those books that I thought was going to be overhyped and would be cheesy and I wouldn't like it or be disappointed in it at least...how wrong was I!! I loved it.

I kind of feel that this is somewhere between Gena Showalter's 'Lords of the Underworld' series and 'Black Dagger Brotherhood' (I feel almost blasphemous saying this as these are my all time favourite series which I follow with an obsession) - I have finished all the books in both of these series and was feeling real withdrawal symptoms, so this has perked me right back up! :)

I wouldn't say I love it quite as much as I do the two of those as it doesn't have quite the same depth in that there are not multiple points of views - there are only the two main protagonists, but the series does continue with a new person from the original band of Dragos' friends each time. I like series like this as each story is kind of complete with its own HEA but the main world story continues and you can learn about new characters each time to keep it interesting. Especially as the H/H are different types of supernatural people each time.

But back to this one, book number one in the series - there was humour, adventure, magic, romance, suspense and some hot sex scenes. It was a fast-paced read, I didn't want to put it down, literally! And I REALLY wanted to know what kind of wyr Pia was...the suspense for this was was quite good as we found out just before I would have got frustrated and HAD to know.

A lot of the secondary characters were likeable, if not particularly well fleshed out, so I am looking forward to reading their stories.

A couple of down sides:
- I get a bit confused at times as to whose POV I was reading - Dragos and Pia were originally very distinct but at certain times I found myself wondering who I was reading - when he catches her for instance and they are in the beach house near the early part of the book. However, it wasn't too difficult to work out and didn't really detract from my enjoyment.
- The baddies were really not very well-developed - I quite like a baddy with more back-story - but the baddies here were quite non-descript with no fleshing out.
- I didn't feel emotionally connected enough with Dragos. This wasn't because he was too cave-man or anything as I originally assumed he would be, as actually his character was done very nicely in that he was still likeable. But I think more and more we saw from the POV of Pia, so we lost some depth from Dragos. And when we did see from his POV we didn't really get to learn his deep feelings/hear his thoughts about what he was feeling. Although by his actions it was getting kind of obvious!

All in all, I LIKE! :)