katiefranke

Katie's Books

New to BookLikes and saving my place while I get my books in order...

Muscling Through - J.L. Merrow Well I quite liked it but I don't know if would read anything else by this author if the writing style is the same. I think the simplicity of the description and language works due to our main narrator POV being Al, a lovely and kind but simple man. If it wasn't for this, I would have been disappointed in the writing, but it worked because of the character.

It was quite a sweet little love story but how they got together did seem a bit far-fetched. However, despite this I did really like the main characters of Al and Larry.

Taking everything into consideration, my only real complaint on this one was that because Al was the POV we were seeing everything through, it did read a little like a simple man's diary entries. "We did so and so and then we did this and he said and I said and we did x, y & z..." Also, the sex scenes were kind of repetitive, blunt and a little crude, but they still worked, again because of the main character who we were reading the POV from.

Overall, a nice little read but I don't think I would be rushing to read anything else by Merrow.