katiefranke

Katie's Books

New to BookLikes and saving my place while I get my books in order...

First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) - Darynda Jones 4.5 stars. I really enjoyed this - it was a bit different to your average pnr/urban fantasy with its concept. The guys were hot, the heroine was feisty, funny and sexy and the scrapes she kept getting herself into were pretty funny. There were a heap of cool and likeable secondary characters too.

The mystery of the case they were working on was pretty good and the mystery of who and what she is/what Reyes is was intriguing.

The whole story is told from her point of view and for 90% of the book I found hearing her thoughts hilarious. It is a really fun read. But the only downside was that there were a few times where the sarcasm was almost too much. At a couple of points, every single thing she said or thought was smart/sarcastic and I felt it must be tiring to be witty like that constantly - it made me feel almost tired to read it!...but at the same time I found it really entertaining...its difficult to explain as I did love it, I just felt at a couple of points it was almost trying too hard to be funny, even though I really appreciated this style of humour. This then settled down though and I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I really can't wait for the next in the series.