katiefranke

Katie's Books

New to BookLikes and saving my place while I get my books in order...

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) - Susan Ee Wow...just wow! I have only just put the book down after finishing it - despite reading some great reviews before picking this up, I hadn't expected to love this so much. But I found myself really drawn in to the story, and feeling for the characters.

There were some humourous moments and some dark and horrific things, especially towards the end, but I think they made it even more brilliant.

Although the main heroine is meant to be 17 I really don't think this is written as a typical YA story and Penryn could have easily been a lot older. Thankfully there was none of the silly teenage language or actions that irritate me in many YA books. It also beats any other angels/demons story I have read in a long time.

The post-apocalyptic setting creates a harsh backdrop for the story - the scene when Penryn looks out over the destruction of san francisco from the window of the hotel room really highlighted the devastation that is meant to have happened to earth.

I was also very pleased to see the language, grammar, spelling etc were all good - I getting pretty fed up of the amount of books I read lately where I see noticeable errors which detract from the story - I am glad to say this was not one of them.

Parts of the main plotline for this first story were wrapped up in this book, but there are many wider questions and loose ends still open - especially any relationship between Penryn and Raffe, so be prepared for a bit of a cliff-hanger there. You are definitely left wondering about lots of things around what is happening with the angel politics, why they are on earth etc, and wanting to get your hands on the next book to read more. However, although I am now desperately wishing for November (the release of the 2nd in the series) to come around, it still had a good satisfying conclusion for this part, so you at least aren't left with a complete non-ending like some annoying books!

Definitely a great read and one I would recommend - really something a bit different - very much looking forward to the next in the series.