katiefranke

Katie's Books

New to BookLikes and saving my place while I get my books in order...

Under the Never Sky - Veronica Rossi 4 stars

Although there were a few things that niggled me, not least the fact I initially thought I wouldn't be able to get into the story (until Perry makes his appearance and things get more interesting), I actually ended up loving this and thoroughly enjoyed the read. The main characters were really likeable, especially Perry, and I was intrigued by many of the secondary characters too. I hope we hear much more about them in the rest of the books. I love a book with a lot of interesting characters. I also really liked hearing from both Aria and Perry's POV throughout, the main characters are really what make this for me.

The story reminds me of a kind of fantasy quest style but set in a futuristic world. In fact it brought up thoughts of Jim Butcher's "The Codex Alera" fantasy series which I love. And although its a YA book, I think this could easily have been adults in the story, as apart from the first part when they are in Reverie, I didn't feel we were being told a load of stuff that was like a teen drama...a little like the "Penryn and the End of Days" series I recently read the first book in the series from, where although teenagers, they feel/seem older. Or perhaps they are acting their age, but I'm so used to teenagers in YA acting like 12 yr olds that I forgot what a decent YA was like!

I'm looking forward to reading more in the series and would like to understand more about the Aether in the next - I still don't really know what it is other than some kind of roiling lightening throughout the skies that has some sort of link to genetic mutations which cause certain powers/heightened senses...maybe we're not meant to know. I am normally eager to fully understand everything about how a world works but I was so thoroughly drawn in to the main characters and their 'quest' that I really didn't mind that much for once. I really hope the next part lives up to the first in this series...I am going to hold on to read it so that I am closer to the release of the 3rd in the series in Jan 2014, as I hate having to wait ages for the next in a series.