katiefranke

Katie's Books

New to BookLikes and saving my place while I get my books in order...

On Demon Wings - Karina Halle Well after trying to put off reading this due to needing a break after the intense emotional rollercoaster of Lying Season, I finally couldn't wait any longer and decided to read On Demon Wings, as I needed my Perry & Dex fix!

Whilst I couldn't help but like this, as after all it is part of what may be my favourite series EVER, this is the first book so far that I haven't felt thoroughly engaged in at parts. I think this is mainly due to the fact that we don't get to see Dex again until about 75% of the way through the book and it made me realise that what I love above all else in this series is the interaction between Dex & Perry. And when we do finally see him, I couldn't help but feel like Perry, almost like he was a stranger as we haven't seen him for so long. I am hoping once we get into the next book the connection between them will feel more real again. I don't know if this is because I have had a break from reading the books too...that probably didn't help.

However, that is not to say this wasn't good and it carried the story along to the next point, picking up a few months after Lying Season. In a way, whilst I was slightly disappointed that I didn't feel swept along in the same way I normally do with this series, I still felt the story shouldn't have been anything different. It needed the build up during the first part of the book to realise the despair Perry would be feeling, which added to her downward spiral.

I think I just felt tense and stressed the whole way through this one, knowing all this awful stuff was happening and still going to happen and not knowing how everything would work out. And we don't really get any relief at any point, as everything just keeps on getting worse. Even at the end, we don't get a feeling of relief for very long due to the major cliff-hanger! The immediate danger is concluded but then the ending is just "Noooooooooooo"!

Ada was great in this one - I really love her character and see that Halle has a book for her in the making, as a spin-off I guess from EIT. She is a great sister and friend to Perry throughout this one.

Then there was Max - I knew he would resurface again - I just didn't trust him from the beginning, he seemed fake - I don't know if that's how he was supposed to come across but eventually the sisters don't really trust him either - really he was just a massive jerk - or should I say douchecanoe! - throughout most of his scenes!

The freaky stuff was pretty horrid, but I did feel it was all a bit disjointed, different things kept just randomly happening all over the place, but then I guess this chaotic pattern was what Halle was going for, to add to the confusion for Perry. It was all pretty horrible and as it went on you could really see how people were going to think Perry was just going mental!

Just before Dex comes back into the story, it was just so horrible and stressful! You get to that point where you know if someone doesn't help soon Perry is going to be well and truly screwed! Urgh and the wasps made a reappearance in this one - god I hate freaking wasps, I have a phobia of them and so the scenes with them in made me feel physically sick, especially the last one, urgh it was just so horrible.

Do I go straight on to EIT #6 [b:Into the Hollow|13617933|Into the Hollow (Experiment in Terror, #6)|Karina Halle|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1346388869s/13617933.jpg|19220748] after this, or do I read the stories in between? [b:Old Blood|13599714|Old Blood (Experiment in Terror, #5.5)|Karina Halle|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1335551656s/13599714.jpg|19191362] telling “Creepy Clown Lady”s story, or [b:The Dex-Files|15746858|The Dex-Files (Experiment in Terror, #5.7)|Karina Halle|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1344824329s/15746858.jpg|21437922] showing Dex's POV for the books so far?

------------

I have decided to read [b:Old Blood|13599714|Old Blood (Experiment in Terror, #5.5)|Karina Halle|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1335551656s/13599714.jpg|19191362] next, as it seems to contain info that is necessary at this point to help you understand more about Dex & Perrys background, rather than just being "Creepy Clown Lady's" story.